Iran’s political crisis deepened on Friday after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei delivered a fiery speech targeting both domestic protesters and US President Donald Trump, as mass demonstrations spread across the country.
Speaking on state television, the 86-year-old leader said the Islamic Republic would “not retreat” in the face of unrest, accusing foreign-backed elements of attempting to weaken the country from within.
🔥 Khamenei Accuses Trump of Bloodshed
Khamenei strongly criticised the US president, claiming that “the hands of the American leader are stained with Iranian blood”, referring to recent US military strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.
He also predicted that the US president would eventually be removed from power, comparing him to the monarchy that was overthrown during Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution.
The leader told supporters that foreign governments were exploiting Iran’s internal situation and insisted that national unity would defeat external pressure.
🗣️ Warning to Protesters
Khamenei accused demonstrators of damaging public infrastructure to serve foreign interests. He claimed people were destroying their own cities to please outside powers, particularly Washington.
He warned that the government would not tolerate anyone acting as “agents of foreign forces”, and pledged to take firm action to restore order.
Crowds present during the speech reportedly responded with chants against the United States.

🌐 Internet Blackout and Widening Unrest
The remarks came as Iran imposed a nationwide communications blackout in an attempt to control the spread of protests. Internet access was restricted, phone services were disrupted, and flights were cancelled, leaving the country largely cut off from the outside world.
The protests, which started in late December over rising prices and economic hardship, have grown into the largest wave of unrest in three years, spreading across almost every province.
Human rights groups claim that dozens of people have been killed, with thousands arrested so far.
📢 Calls for More Protests
Iran’s opposition abroad has urged people to continue demonstrating. Reza Pahlavi, the exiled son of Iran’s former monarch, encouraged citizens to take to the streets, saying the world was watching.
Despite the blackout, videos shared by activists showed crowds gathered around fires in Tehran and other cities, with damaged buildings and debris scattered across roads.
🚨 Government Blames Foreign Groups
State media accused opposition groups and foreign-backed organisations of stirring violence, claiming that buses, cars, banks and metro stations were set on fire by “terrorist elements.”
Reports from inside Iran described scenes resembling a war zone in several cities, as shops and public property were badly damaged.
Officials acknowledged casualties but did not release full details.
⚠️ Uncertain Future
With information tightly controlled due to the communications shutdown, the true scale of the unrest remains unclear. However, analysts say the current protests represent one of the most serious challenges to Iran’s leadership in years.









